If you're just visiting you might notice that "Feb 27" is in the page title of this blog, so the event came yesterday and it was great. I've been hearing positive things about it today at school and I'm glad it turned out good. We had great performers coming, plus I got to bust a rap, and the turnout ended up being just right for the size of the room we were in. We didn't end up finding a stage but it worked out because the dance and step team had a lot of room. Sound and lights were good and the overall feel of the event was fresh, like when it's 100 degrees outside and you jump into cold water, But the main point is that we made a difference.

So first it was DJ Jesus's dj routine, me (Survei), and the RHS Step Team (who made a step special for the event), then Notion rapped, enunciating the heart out of the words as he does and one of the songs was rapped to a famous beat/instrumental ballad. Members of the Quadian dance team pretended to be his quartet, singing with the beat, which was hilarious. Then the dance team performed and they were amazing, then Braille and Theory Hazit came on (it was a great lineup).My friend DJ Jesus was running music for Braille and Theory Hazit, so it was cool how the performers intermingled. At the end of "Hip Hop for Hunger", Braille talked about hunger and noted that the word "Hip Hop" was falling off a sign that said "A Hip Hop concert for Hunger in Africa," he made the point that this event wasn't so much for Hip Hop as it was for hunger.

Looking back, the event was the right mix of edginess, art, and fun and I think that the music left a good taste in the attenders' mouth. While this event is over, it's sort of a beginning for me. My next goal is getting 4 instrumentals so that I can do a whole set of songs. While this was just one event, it might lead to other people doing events too; I mean, this concert was inspired by previous concerts at Rogers such as the "Tree Hit Me In The Face Tour". All that's left is some paperwork, and the school will be mailing the check to WorldVision.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    kudos on your contribution to worldvision

  2. Alexi George said...

    Great blog! Keep up the good work.

  3. Starbright said...

    Hi,

    I think that's a fantastic idea and it's great to get a lot of performance experience in front of lots of people.

  4. Meeee said...

    Great blog. Love what you're doing.

    (Check out my blog and quest to get some 1's and 2's.)

    Phil @ http://oneshinysafetypin.blogspot.com

  5. Anonymous said...

    great page.. can you promote me?
    i´m a rapper from germany

    my pages

    www.denone.de and www.myspace.com/denonemusic

  6. Jelani Greenidge, a.k.a G*Natural said...

    Survei, I'm glad to hear your show came off well. With Braille and Theory, you really can't go wrong.

    Did you get any audio or video of the event? Have you recorded any of your stuff? Just curious.

    Anyway, reading your recap got me thinking: you might really enjoy I conference that I'm helping to set up. It's going to be August 6-11 at Seattle U, and it's called "Feet to Faith" -- a bunch of high school students who want their faith in God to be lived out in the community. Each day we'll tackle an issue that we believe God cares about ... homelessness, racism, environment care, etc.

    They haven't set up their official site yet but if you wanna watch a promo video you can see one here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Iyn3aWU7Do&eurl=

    Or for more basic info you can check out the link through the Evangelical Covenant Church website:

    http://www.covchurch.org/cov/resources/christian-formation/feet-to-faith

    bolla atcha hoy

  7. Survei said...

    While I appreciate the love, this was just one event! There's a lot of people out there who've been doing a lot more good than I have, and for a much longer time. This is just a beginning though and I still appreciate the comments.

  8. Anonymous said...

    hi there, what a nice blog you have here, ;)


Blogger Template by Blogcrowds


Word... | template modified from the K2 template found at Blogcrowds